Great news! Our winemaking team — led by Melissa Stackhouse — is creating a brand new 2012 Russian River Valley Pinot Noir and we want you to name it.
We're taking entries through Monday, December 31st, 2012. The grand prize winner will receive six bottles of the new Pinot Noir labeled with the winning name! The top two finalists will each receive a $100 gift certificate — good for use in our online store or Visitor Center retail shop.
Melissa tells us this Pinot Noir is "brooding" with a particularly rich, deep, cherry red color. That's all she'll say about it at this point, but given how spectacular the wine grape harvest has been this year, this wine promises to be superb.
Here's where you come in. We'd like a truly inspired, maybe even slightly fanciful name for our new wine — something that speaks to its unique qualities in an artful yet substantial way. For example, our STRATA Pinot Noir is a tribute to the terroir of the Russian River Valley, so we chose a name with some geological flair to it.
This mysterious new Pinot Noir will be blended from several estate vineyards sprinkled throughout the Russian River Valley and Green Valley regions. It's all about the cool climate of these regions and the artful blending process our team is using to shape its flavors.
We should mention that naming a wine can be challenging because many names are already taken, but we believe in your creative powers! It's a good idea to conduct a brief web search to make sure your naming idea hasn't already been used. Feel free to use the letter 'J' itself as a source of inspiration, but that's not a requirement.
We can't wait to start reading your entries! Again, we'll be accepting entries until Monday, December 31st, 2012. Further guidelines are below.
How to Enter:
- Email your idea to firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet it to @jwinery
- Another way to enter is to visit J's Facebook page and share your idea as a comment. (Be sure to make it clear that your comment is a part of the Pinot Noir naming contest.)
- Enter as many times as you want. Entries will be accepted until midnight on Monday, December 31st, 2012. Additional entries will not be accepted after this time.
- There is no purchase necessary and you must be 21 years or older to enter.
- Before submitting your idea, please conduct a web search to ensure your name idea hasn't already been used.
- Finalists will be announced on Friday, January 4, 2013 and an overall winner on Monday, January 14, 2012. In both cases, the announcements will be made on this blog and on the J Facebook page.